Job Vacancy | General Manager of El Sistema Greece
Hours and salary
40 hours per week (full time)
Salary to be determined (depending on the experience and the skills)
Greece, based in Athens.
Mission of El Sistema Greece
El Sistema Greece is a social music project inspired in the philosophy and methodology of El Sistema in Venezuela. El Sistema Greece aims to give a free music education to the children in refugee camps, to those in the city center of Athens as well as all vulnerable children in Greece. Music education has proven to be an extremely effective tool for the personal and social development of both children and their families. The methodology has been designed by Venezuelan pedagogues from El Sistema and is in constant evolution considering the reality of the situation in the field.
Hierarchy and general mission of the job
El Sistema Greece is seeking to appoint a General Manager – a crucial role within the organization working closely with a team of dedicated creative professionals. This is a full-time salaried position.
The General Manager will work closely with the Artistic Director for the implementation of El Sistema Greece mission and will manage the planning and operational delivery of the day-to-day activities, (including production activity) and related financial planning and execution.
Under the direct authority of the Board of Directors of El Sistema Greece and in close collaboration with the Artistic Director, the General Manager is responsible for the daily life in all structures where El Sistema Greece operates, supervising the work of the administrative staff.
The General Manager institutionally represents El Sistema Greece and informs the Board of Directors about the activities, developments, opportunities, and challenges from an organizational, financial, and strategic point of view, through regular reporting. The General Manager with the Artistic Director inform the Board of Directors of El Sistema Greece about the pedagogical and artistic activities, developments, opportunities and challenges through common communications means. The General Manager is solely responsible for the budget of El Sistema Greece.
The General Manager has hierarchical authority over the administrative staff of El Sistema Greece and is the liaison with the authorities and the administration of the structures where the organization operates.
The General Manager is responsible for the general administrative management and more specifically for the human resources (teachers, translators, trainees, volunteers, visitors) and the El Sistema Greece operating budget in all structures and its development.
The General Manager’s responsibilities also include:
- Budgeting and management, cost monitoring and reporting to El Sistema Greece Board of Directors; actively contributing to strategic and business planning.
- The operational and financial approval of the program of the artistic season proposed by the Artistic Director.
- The operational and financial approval of the annual curriculum proposed by the Artistic Director.
- The management of the human resources of the organization.
- Responsibility for the required legal permits and for all payments of the organization (staff, suppliers, rentals, etc).
- Participation in the annual grant applications and reporting.
- Communication with local authorities, monitoring of institutional relations and participation in development actions.
- The responsibility for El Sistema Greece team to ensure smooth and clear communications across projects.
- The holding of regular meetings with the administrative staff and the teachers, the supervision of the administrative staff in the design and implementation of programs and productions, as well as the promotion of all activities in the media.
- The organization and management of events outside the El Sistema Greece structures and the supervision of the administrative staff for musical activities organized in all structures that include the students of El Sistema Greece, following the musical and pedagogical design of the Artistic Director.
- The evaluation of opportunities and submission of proposals for the development of El Sistema Greece: strategy, finances, new structures, international collaborations, events, communication. The artistic and pedagogical opportunities are to be prior evaluated by the Artistic Director.
- Flexibility, commitment and the ability to multitask.
- Ability to self-manage and motivate.
- Capacity to work in team and understanding of groups’ dynamics.
- Human resources skills.
- 3 – 5 years of professional experience working within the arts sector.
- Good knowledge of the national and international arts sector.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluent in Greek and English.
- IT knowledge (word, excel, PowerPoint, google drive)
- Track record of managing teams.
- A strong “can do” attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or a related field or equivalent professional experience.
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and cover letter in both English and Greek until Thursday, September 1st 2022 at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: For the General Manager position of ESG.